Are you applying to University and/or College?
Checklist to Complete at High School Before Transitioning to College/University
Contact the school(s) you are planning on attending and speak to a person in their support office. It has different names at different institutions, but could be called the Disability Office, Student Support Services, etc…
- I am taking high school courses that will get me into college/university.
- I know what (if any) program requirements will be when I enroll.
- I am attending my Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings.
- I have a copy of my IEP to send to the college/university.
- I have discussed my psycho-educational assessment with my counsellor, special education resource teacher (SERT), and parents.
- I know my academic strengths and weaknesses.
- I have a psycho-educational assessment that is no more than 3-5 years old.
- I can describe my disability in detail.
- I can describe my disability in detail to teachers and professors.
- I know the kinds of accommodations that could be available to me.
- I have had meetings with my SERT and discussed what I need to do to prepare for postsecondary school.
- IEP OR IPRC;
- Educational or Psycho-educational testing results;
- Summary of Learning styles/accommodations and strategies you find useful;
- List of all technologies and software you use; and
- Any other info that may prove useful.